Past two official Friday updates concentrated on the group content in the Old Republic. Bioware decided to call its small group content Flashpoints, but if you hear people saying instances or dungeons they are talking about the same thing. Here is all the information I could gather up about this game mechanic so you, our readers, can know what to expect.
We first were introduced to flashpoint content back in 2009 at E3 and Gamescom. The next big group content was revealed last year as a multiplayer demo that was played by Bioware staff (at E3) and fansite members at Pax. At Pax 2010 we also saw a video called “Mysteries of Knights of the Old Republic” showcasing a late game flashpoint/dungeon that hints at an old enemy – Darth Malak – known as the villain in the KOTOR game. With the addition of the two Friday updates solely dedicated to the flashpoint mechanic we now have enough information on what to expect from small group content in SWTOR.
Important Flashpoint Information
- Maximum number of players that can enter is four (plus companions).
- Flashpoints are repeatable.
- Flashpoints are much more challenging than single-player missions, but they offer valuable loot and rewards.
- There might be choices associated with a flashpoint (save the captain/kill the captain). When running multiple runs of a flashpoint it is still not 100% clear whether the last choice you made counts, or the first choice you made counts. This feature is being fine tuned in the game testing.
- Based on your dialog choices and bonus objectives you perform, the flashpoint can change so that you get access to more bosses or more ways of beating the dungeon.
- Types of enemies, AI and mob abilities are connected to the story the flashpoint is trying to tell.
- You will be able to take companions into the flashpoint, which means that if your group has no healer you can have 4 healing companions to compensate.
- There will be heroic versions of Flashpoints
Flashpoints that are known to be in the game so far
- The Esseles – Republic Only, early level
- The Black Talon – Empire Only, early level
- Taral V – Republic Only, mid game, ~90 to 120mins for completion, Level 32+
- Boarding Party – Empire Only, mid game
- Directive 7 – Both, late game
- (unofficial) Darth Revan’s Complex – higher level flashpoint
- Official Flashpoints page
- Official article on how flashpoints are built by World Designer Jesse Sky
- Taral V flashpoint video
- E3 Multiplayer demo
2 Responses to “Overview of Instance Mechanics in SWTOR”